Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New week

Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday, I think I might have a tummy bug and haven't felt up to it. So I'm going to make this quick. I'm keeping my goals from last week (drinking more water, going to bed early, work out at least 3x) and adding one this week - get rid of all HFCS. For the most part, I've been doing really well with this and not buying things that have it in it. We've already switched a few things like our brand of syrup has changed and so has our ketchup. And guess what I noticed the other day? My 100% whole wheat bread has HFCS in it!! I couldn't believe it! Who does that?? So I'm definitely going to be scouring our food to make sure we don't have any more that are "hidden" with HFCS. :P

4 comments:

Cami Jo said...

maybe I'm an idiot but what is that exactly???? Clue me in. Maybe I should be eliminating it too!

Hope you get feeling better! I had something on Sunday, but luckily it only lasted a day and I was back on my feet Monday morning. Hope you are better soon! Good luck this week!

Michelle said...

HFCS means high fructose corn syrup and it's just added sugar in foods. (Not really worse than any other sugar. Sugar is sugar.) I'm trying to cut sugar out one step at a time so I thought I'd start with that. :)

Michelle said...

Oh, I should add that there are studies that have shown that since HFCS has been added to products obesity rates have shot up but nothing has been proven if the two are directly correlated. (They are trying to figure out if our bodies metabolize it different than normal sugar, according to one article.)

Cami Jo said...

Interesting. I'll have to check that out! Is it just listed in the ingredients? For white flour, I've started to only buy wheat bread (Which we've mostly always done anyway), but now I only use brown rice and whole wheat pastas. I don't "NEVER" eat white flour, but it helps when I have the other stuff around to cook with. Most of the time when I have rice, I put some kind of sauce or something on it, and same with noodles, so I don't usually notice the difference in taste too much anyway. If you have more ideas for me, let me know!!!