Sunday, July 13, 2008

The weight will be FALLNG off....soon!

That was a pretty corny title... I know. Isn't the picture pretty though? I took it a few days ago. (I've been in Yellowstone, for those who didn't know). It was a blast, but I didn't exercise as much as I was hoping too. We went on a hike to a waterfall one day, so that was good. We walked 328 stairs down, and back up. I was surprised by how NOT out of breath I was. I was passing people, stopping for breaks right and left, so that made me feel GREAT! Anyway, eating, like most people on vacation, was a joke. This blog is awesome though, because as I read the recent posts when I got home, I was IMMEDIATELY motivated again!!!

Guess what? On Wednesday, before I left, I ran the 5k in 32 minutes and 11 seconds! Impressive huh!? Well...maybe not, but I was still excited. My right shin has been really sore though for the past week. It almost feels bruised, but the pain goes away after about a mile once I start running. But, as soon as I'm done, it's back. I thought the break would help heal it, but it still hurts. I don't want to hurt myself, but I don't know what's wrong? Do you think I could be landing funny when I run to make it hurt? Any ideas? Oh, well.


This week. HMMM... Okay, I guess I'll write down everything I eat as well. Last time I did this, I typed up my own little Daily log paper. ( Not nearly as cute as Jill's but same idea.) I actually had James print it up for me at school and when I got it back, he had added his own little section. On the bottom it said, "A total daily score of 99% or better will result in some hot lovin' with James". I suppose he thought this would be GREAT motivation. Well....HOT LOVIN'....HERE I COME!!!


For food: I'll try only 3 treats again...until Next Sunday. Wish me luck! Also, I'll do better at drinking more water, and focus on eatng more vegetables this week. I usually do fine with fruits, but I need to find ways to get more vegies in my diet! That's what I'll focus on this week!


As for excercising: I'll keep it about the same too.

6 comments:

amber-girl said...

Ok, so I can give you some advice about your shin hurting! I ran cross country and track from 7th grade to 12th grade and always got what is called shin splints! (i have no idea if i spelled it right!) It is very common. It usually hurts after running and happens when you over work yourself and your body isn't ready or are running on different surfaces that don't absorb the impact as well.(like concrete)

Take some IBuprofin before you go running, that helps with the inflamation, and then you can do some simple stretches and exercises to help strengthen those muscles! (the bad part is that usually once you get shin splints, they don't go away easily! It takes time)

Before you begin your warm-up do heel walks for maybe 100-200 meters. Just walk on your heels....it burns, but it really helps! Make sure you are stretching your leg muscles. After you exercise, applying ice to your shin bone helps and you can massage those muscles by running your finger down each side on the schin bone. You can also stretch by laying on your back and wrapping a dish towel around the back of your foot. Hold each end of the towel in your hands, straighten your leg, and pull.

Often your breathing pattern can affect one side of your body. Example, when you are running, if you are breathing in three steps, breathing out three steps, each time you breathe out, the same foot is hitting the ground at a greater impact than the other foot. (that causes injury on one side of the body) What you want to do instead is breathe in 3, out 2...or in 2, out 3...in 4 out 3, you have to find what is most comfortable for you. As you breathe in this pattern, it equally distributes the impact on both feet, and you won't have so many incidents of injury with the same hip, foot, ankle, etc..!!

It might also help to make sure you are wearing the right shoes. Maybe you need a better arch support!

Good luck! Try going to www.webmd.com
it is a great health web site and it might offer some good tips too!

Melissa said...

30 min. 5K? That's so awesome Cam!

Michelle said...

Wow, some *cough* hot lovin'. That may have been too much information for your next door neighbor. ;)

LOL!

Love the waterfall picture. And you did FANTASTIC on our run last week. Your time is awesome and you're only going to get better. :D

Rolyndia said...

I came across your blog through a friends blog. I was wondering if I could join your weight loss group? I have about 50 pounds to get off and it would be nice to have others to do this with, even if it is through blogging.

Rolyndia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ivan, Jenna, and Allison said...

Cami Jo,
How are your shoes? I know when I used to run I used to get shin splints all the time and it took getting new and MORE SUPPORTIVE shoes to fix the problem. I have flat feet and needed extra support in my shoes (or it can be a problem if you have high arches and the shoes do not have a high enough arch). Try to go to a running store (like Fleet Feet) and they can fit you correctly and maybe this can help the problem. I know for flat feet - Asiacs are great, they offer different strengths of stability.
Jenna Chatterley